Friday, March 16, 2007

God of Rob or God of Chistendom?

I know this sounds pretty damn self righteous, but here it goes...I am becoming more and more convinced that I believe in a different god than most Christians. I do call myself a Christian because my belief is that Jesus died for my sins and created a new world in which his example is the model way of life, so I feel that I shouldn't be bashful about proclaiming my faith in his work. Many Christians now days say, "I'm not a Christian, I'm a follower of Christ", or ,"I'm not religious but I am highly spiritual". Here's how I explain this... too many people confuse Christianity with Christendom, which is where that shame of being labelled as a Christian comes from. Most people will probably say that Christendom died with the Roman Empire (which brings up a whole other issue of how much of the "Roman Empire" still exists...as far as ideology goes), but I think it's safe to say that Christendom is alive and well, and continues to be as much of a threat to the Kingdom of God and teachings of Christ as it was during the time when it was controlled and constructed by tyrannical emperors and popes.

There's more to come as far as my case for what Christendom is and how it is still with us today...it'll be a short comparisson between the history of the old church with today's church. I just thought this would be a good start.

2 comments:

Mike Murrow said...

roomie i run into this all the time. if i say i am christian that label is so loaded now that one has to deconstruct all the misconseptions. problem is i am way too lazy to do that.

on the other hand who has the time to come up with another label that will just be co-opted by the institutional sell outs?

also, all the good alternatives have been taken by the cults or are too cumbersome.

"hi, um, yeah, well see i am an almost-orthodox-on-a-good-day-unless-i-have-been-drinking-non-imperial-christian-who-doesn't-belong-to-a-political-party-wanna-be-pacifist-with-a-realistic-view-of-humanity-who-follows-christ-when-it-is-easy-and-isn't -a-crazy-fundamentalist-but-believes-all-this-crazy-stuff-anyway-person type. how about you?"

maybe i should have that printed on a t-shirt?

besides, i am not really a "shining" example of christian living so maybe it is best that i don't tell people i am a christian.

Mike Murrow said...

oh, and we should totally eat some of jons pizza because he is out of town.