Saturday, June 16, 2007

My coming trip...

In my travels this summer I will be heading to Cuba among many other places. In Cuba I am hoping to take a lot of pictures as well as talk to the locals to get to know the culture better. I'm going to do a little write-up when I'm done and hope to provide a well rounded look into the political and cultural aspects of Cuba. There are alot of good things that many people don't know about Cuba that I'd like to bring to light. In hanging out with latin american activist folks I've observed that most of these people spend most of their time defending Castro as well as other leftist leaders in south and central america. I would agree that these leaders aren't as bad as most American people think but there are also things that these activist folks ignore. For example, why, if as they say, Cuba is such a great place and Castro isn't that bad, do people risk their lives getting to America. Also, I heard a story from some people who hired a kid to drive them around for a day when they were in Cuba and he was a little scared that he might get arrested if anyone knew that they hired him...because he's not an official taxi driver.

My question to you folks is this...if you were to interview people in Cuba, what would you want to find out more about? What questions would you ask people or what subjects would you discuss? I know a few things I'd like to learn but what about you. I need a little help here to be more creative in my interview(ings). Please point other people in the direction of this blog so that I can get as much feedback on the subject as possible before I head off. For now I'm going to Montana! Thanks!!

4 comments:

Agent B said...

I have a friend who visited the deep dark corners of Cuba. He's a missionary who snuck in via Costa Rica.

If you can, get away from the touristy areas ala Havana. They are truly facades for visitors, so I'm told.

I'm also told that the ones who risk their lives to leave have basically ruined their families lives who remain home. Basically, people live in overcrowded shacks given by the govt. If a person leaves or attempts to leave, then that person's family loses their house and becomes street beggars. So...leaving is a huge risk, not just life or death.

Looking forward to a detailed report upon your return...

james said...

Moore hits up Cuba in his latest film as a good provider of Health Care. I'd be curious what the citizens have to say about it.

Rob (with one B) said...

Agent B: I do hope to hire someone to drive me away from the touristy areas...the hard part will be that in order to talk to anyone I'll need to bring a translator. But at the very least I can take some pictures.

James: I have read quite a bit on the healthcare system of Cuba, including healthcare in the prisons, and it seems to be all good, but I do suspect that everyone who gets a chance to go to Cuba and examine things like this are "wearing rose colored glasses". I'll be sure to ask around on what the people think.

Mike Murrow said...

freakin commy