Thursday, April 05, 2007

Nastolgia

I was driving home from the youth group that I lead tonight. I'm not sure what I was thinking about but completely zoned out. I finally came out of my daze and had no idea where I was but I knew that if I kept driving i'd end up somewhere I knew. I felt like I had been in my car for hours but it was really only about a minute or two. As I looked around it reminded me of the time when I went on tour with a band I was in. There were three of us in a van driving all over the western half of the U.S. We would drive all night so we could hang out the next day with other bands and then play our shows, get a free meal, hang out for a little more, then get on the road again.

There were a ton of times when I had been driving on some back ass country highway through New Mexico or Colorado and had no idea where I was. Sometimes we'd stop into a small town store that was open late at night and get looks from creepy locals who just happened to be hanging out in the store at 3 or 4 in the morning. This intense nastolgic feeling came over me. There's something I really enjoy about having no plan or idea of what's going on. So...

this summer I'm planning on going to Cuba on a humanitarian/protest trip. This whole zoning out nastolgia thing gave me a great idea. I come back in to Texas on July 28th. If time and money allows, I think I'm going to try to make my way back to California very slowly. It would be fun to just catch buses from city to city and stay in hostels nights that I'm not sleeping on a bus. There's something comforting about not having a plan or being bound to any time schedule. Plus, it will be a good way to take some pictures of fun things and meet interesting people. Maybe I'm looking for some sort of spiritual experience but I don't think that's it. There's those commercials from my childhood that had some messed up guy getting chased by a cop then an announcer says "Nobody says, 'I want to be a junky when I grow up'." I don't want to be a junky but I do wish I could be homeless and drunk most of the time. That would be way better than having a job and having to care about people. So minus the drunk part, i'm gonna try to live that as close as I can for about a week this summer...hopefully.

Done and done.

5 comments:

Agent B said...

Texas ehh?

If your travels move you through the fair mother city of Abilene, TX - you're welcome to stay w/ me and my family.

Mike Murrow said...

there is a quote in here from office space about doing nothing but i can't remember it correctly.

also...

i think you over romanicize not working.

also...

it is nastalgia not nastolgia.

Mike Murrow said...

ooh burn

Rob (with one B) said...

1) I might hit you up on that offer Agent B.

2) Mike, Yes I have a completely romatic view of what i would want homelessness to be

3) Sorry about the misspelling Mr. Perfect

4) You're a dork Mike!

Ben Wiele said...

that sounds like it would be fun. don't get molested by a trucker though.

ditch Raymond days?