Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Pictures and Thoughts...I'll have more

You stand, for what seems like an eternity. If it's late it seems worse. Normally when you're underground it's cool, like in a basement. But not in the subways. It's hot, humid, and full of people you don't know. Aahhh! I love it!! The light comes around the bend like in a bad indi film. For some reason you doubted the train would come...but it did. ---the way the light appears in the dimness of the subway tunnels is and oddly comforting thing. It's nothing like I've experienced in other cities like DC, Boston, or Chicago where the ground blinks or an announcement happens when the train is arriving---I LOVE IT!

IMG_4097

Here are some pictures of things. Some are of a view that I absolutely love in Central Park...others are of my neighborhood at night.

IMG_4092

One side note that I'd like to add is about the buses. I've been riding the buses a lot lately. There are certain things you can do to get around without actually knowing what you're doing around here and that's what I've been doing. On the bus, a lady gets on with her kid. She can't quite get her shit together before the bus takes off. She hands her kid to some lady who is sitting in the seat right in front of her. She doesn't know the lady, nor does the kid, but the kid and the lady play until the mom gets settled. It could be a female thing, but it only seems to happen inthe "ghettoer" parts of town (among black/latino folk) so I am going to read more into that aspect. It's a weird sense of community on public transportation that I have never seen before in a big city. As with everything before, I LOVE IT!!

IMG_4094

IMG_4098

IMG_4078

IMG_4080

3 comments:

Mike Murrow said...

dude you need to take the Fungwah from Chi Chi town to Boston while I am still here.

the Rob (with one B) said...

no time...I leave here tomorrow morning. Oh well.

wonderjen said...

alright. you're back.

more pictures.
more thoughts.

please.