Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Poor people with no anus

There is a strong correlation between the amount of ice cream sold and a rise in crime rates. I had to read a short study about that for a research methods class last semester. Really, the amount of ice cream sold is directly related to the heat. And there is a decent causal relationship between the temperature and an increase in the crime rate. All of that to say that it is really really hot in New York right now -- in the upper 90s with really fucked up humidity.

As for the crime, i don't know.

I think I mentioned last time that I go to this coffee shop just to talk to people because no one ever really talks to you -- especially when you go into chain places like starbucks or staples. I bought some stuff at a small bodega by my house the other day and i was a buck short. The guy said I owe him. The next day I walked in to buy something else and paid him back his dollar and he was really impressed. He started talking to me. I've been buying lunch at this pizza place by my office for the last few days and today the guy wanted to give me a 'fist pound'... you know, like the terrorist signal the Obamas use. It's pretty insignificant but it's amazing how you can be surrounded by so many people and have zero interaction.

I went out with my roommates the other night. We went to a house party here in Harlem then migrated to mid-town among the yuppies, got kicked out of a bar that we fought our way in to. So, the next day I ran into one of the guys we were with on the street by his house. He came up to me and it threw me off because the only people that talk to me on the street are asking for change or cigarettes...since i wasn't expecting it, it was a really akward conversation.

Today I got the use the "You people?! Aah, I'm calling a house meeting y'all" line with some of the black folks that work in my office. They thought it was the funniest damn thing. We always make jokes about what white people and black people...usually one getting beaten by the cops the other not. One lady said "the day that shit is worth anything poor people will be born without an asshole." Good times.

Still no pictures. I was going to last Saturday but had to work for most of the day. It was cool though. I was in the south Bronx all day manifesting material on a bus and barbecuing. And, hanging out on their stoop...which is a New York poor people past time...it was neat. The people whose house it was at told me to come back whenever I want just to hang out and have food. It was just like Scotts Valley, except in one of the worst neighborhoods in the US instead.

That's it for now. Pictures soon, maybe.

No comments: