Sunday, February 08, 2009

On America

I've been asked numerous times since I've been here what I think of the new president. My answer is always something along the lines of "at least it's not the other guy." I've been trying to follow the newspapers back home as much as I can and it seems that Obama is creating quite a stir -- which is good. Someone needs to break the American public out of their complacency, whether it is for good or bad, as long as people are feeling passion for something. (well, I don't totally agree with what I just said because I think the Republican side of things is way more full of shit and it would be and aweful world if they ruled everything.)

To the point: I've been reading about the upcoming stimulus plan. I think the original version was just fine. In fact, it may have been too moderate. But, as I'm reading all of this I see the Senate deciding one thing, the House deciding the other and nothing much getting done.

At home I constantly talk to people about politics so talk of 'House this'/'Senate that' just seems normal. I don't question the idea that these two houses have the ability to check each other. We take pride in our 'checks and balance' and that is essentially what is going on between the House and Senate...right? Wrong!

It's all political bullshit. These bankers and aristocrats are just gambling with the lives of normal people for nothing more than a few years of job security in their government office.

But, what struck me is not how this stimulus plan is turning out. What struck me is that none of this stuff is relevant. I'm sitting on this "side of the pond" (that's for heather) looking at the incredible complacency of these people, whose economic crisis might be worse than ours, and seeing that they trust their government just as much as we do...and theirs is just as worthless. In short, I guess it's becoming even more odd to me that one nation can see themselves as better than another when really they are all completely worthless.

Update and pictures tomorrow!

No comments: