Tuesday, June 23, 2009

New York City!

I arrived in New York City yesterday to do another month this summer working in the office for the organization that I go to Cuba with. I'm staying in Brooklyn for these first two weeks. I have a place in a rad little neighborhood close to rad pubs, a Trader Joe's, and two blocks from the subway. The ride to work is about 30-40 minutes as opposed to the 20 minute walk last year, but it is good reading time so I'm still stoked.

I have a nice back garden and an entire apartment to myself. I'm right across from a fire station and I have a door that can stay open at night--I like the white noise of the city. It helps me sleep well. In two weeks or so I have to move to south-west harlem, and harlem is where I want to be anyway, partially because there is lots of diversity and it's way closer to the office I'm working in.

Last night when I arrived I had the thought that it would be fun to show up to my first day in the office dressed as a dutch-reform woman, but all of the thrift stores were closed so that didn't work out. I did get volunteered to do a radio PSA tomorrow, so that's interesting. I also might end up driving a box-truck on one of the 14 routes that go through the US. We'll see about that one.

It's a safer neighborhood than I was in last year...for a white guy that is. Again, that's part of the reason I'd rather be in Harlem. Nonetheless, it's a good place, free, and has a garden with a fish pond (plus three turtles).

I worked from 10 to 7:30 this first day. That's the reason I'm up at 1 am writing this blog. It's nice to have plenty of time to unwind no matter how late you work. Sleep will come someday. When, I don't know.

As of now, that's it. I'll definitely have to post some pictures of this place before I leave. Ha! -- I've said that before.

No comments: